Registered Users (please sign in)
Not Registered Users (please sign up)
Originally Clinton began as the Mill District of Lancaster.
In 1828 the Bigelow brothers, Erastus and Horatio started an industrial revolution that left a lasting mark on the many aspects of Clinton. Erastus, a mechanical genius, invented the power loom for manufacturing coachlace, counterpane cloths and gingham plaids. With Horatio, a marketing entrepreneur, the brothers captured a firm hold on the textile industry.
By 1848 unprecedented growth in the population and industry enticed local leaders to separate from the mothertown. After two years of negotiations, the Town of Clinton was incorporated on March 14, 1850.
The Bigelow’s and the Town of Clinton’s success continued with the development of the carpet loom. Bigelow’s carpets were of superior quality and were found in finest establishments including; the White House, the Waldorf-Astoria, and the SS TITANIC.
Clinton’s industrial foothold began to slip during the Great Depression of the 1930’s. As with many New England mill towns, businesses closed or moved away. Fortunately, the numerous mill buildings were discovered again during the 1970’s and 1980’s by modern day entrepreneurs and many successful business now thrive where the Bigelow’s left off.